From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64]emerge make my comp slow :(
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:44:35
1 On Saturday 05 August 2006 11:11, yoshi watanabe wrote:
2
3 > also, setting PORTAGE_NICENESS in make.conf to something like 3 or 5
4 > *really* helps. i also noticed that my pc becomes a bit sluggish during
5 > certain compiles if i don't set it. (defaults to 0). more info on this
6 > option in manual for nice command.
7
8 Actually setting the nice value to 19 (the maximum value with lowest priority)
9 puts portage into batch scheduling mode. This means that it gets longer
10 timeslices (actually speeding up a bit) and at the same time does not
11 influence the reaction speed of anything else.
12
13 Paul
16 Paul de Vrieze
17 Gentoo Developer