From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Now I have a problem with l32 too
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:05:33
1 On 12/17/05, Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Sebastian Redl wrote:
3 >
4 > > Actually, emerge doesn't care about what uname reports - only some
5 > > broken ebuilds might. Emerge only cares about the architecture set in
6 > > the make profile.
7 >
8 > Maybe so, but the l32 utility still isn't doing what it should.
9 > --
10 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
14 Hi Peter,
15 Off list Billy sent me some experiments to do. I did them and sent
16 my results back to him over the weekend I think. I've not heard back
17 from him yet. Here's what he asked me to do:
18
19 <QUOTE>
20 (1) Make some placeholders so you know where you are
21 # touch /in64.txt
22 # touch /mnt/gentoo32/in32.txt
23
24 (2) run l32 as root and as user, and see if you're in the chroot:
25 (root)# l32 bash
26 (root)# ls /in32.txt
27 (root)# uname -a
28 (2') now do it as a normal user
29 (user)$ l32 bash
30 (user)$ ls /in32.txt
31 (user)$ uname -a
32
33 (3) run "linux32 chroot /mnt/gentoo32 bash", and see if you're in the chroot:
34 (root)# linux32 chroot /mnt/gentoo32 bash
35 (root)# ls /in32.txt
36 (root)# uname -a
37
38 (4) make sure the environment in /mnt/gentoo32 is really 32-bit:
39 (root)# file /mnt/gentoo32/bin/uname
40
41 (it should say something about a 32-bit LSB executable.)
42 </QUOTE>
43
44 In my case l32 is taking me to the chroot'ed directory (/mnt/gentoo32
45 in my case) but it's not using the chroot'ed 32-bit identity. For now
46 I continue to use Firefox as root. I'm sure this is probably something
47 simple that we'll work out this week.
48
49 - Mark
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list