From: Pawel Kraszewski <Gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Weird and unpredictable problem: emerge grinds system to a halt
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:10:40
1 Dnia czwartek, 28 wrze¶nia 2006 09:24, Petter Haggholm napisa³:
2
3 > contrast to all the recommended settings I have seen so far -- standard
4 > procedure seems to be -j$(no. cores+1), I presume so that one make
5
6 Ah, yes - one more thing. The estimation of -j for multi-core i've seen in
7 various manuals varies from mentioned here #cores+1 up to 2*#cores. IMHO it
8 depends on the very application being compiled.
9
10 * for large amount of small sources the I/O time is comparable to CPU time. In
11 this case higher -j values are reasonable, as they overlay IO of one file
12 with compilation of the another. As size of the files decreases, the -j may
13 be increased
14
15 * for small amount of big sources the CPU time takes significantly longer than
16 IO time (and memory constraints become more important), so high -j values
17 just cause time expensive process switching between concurent long-term
18 compilations (and might eat all the memory as in my case)
22 Pawel Kraszewski
23 www.kraszewscy.net
26 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list