From: Marco Matthies <marco-ml@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] VMware Player on Gentoo question
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:09:30
Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> I haven't tried qemu on Gentoo yet - my previous testing (with or without > kernel module) showed a dramatic lack of speed (at least when powering a > virtual machine running Windows).
Current cvs / the next qemu version will allow more to be virtualized (and therefore require less emulation), and people are reporting speeds in the same ballpark as vmware -- though I haven't tried the additional virtualization myself yet. See [1] and the rest of the thread.
> I'm a supporter of open source, but there *are* closed source programs that > perform better sometime (note that there also are closed source programs that > perform worse...)
VMware is most certainly a very good and polished product and faster than qemu at the moment, I agree with you 100% there. Mentioning qemu was just an idea for people who didn't want to spend any money :) Also qemu has some interesting extra features, though these will probably be of lesser interest to people who only wish to run windows.
> But I'll keep an eye on quemu - that by the way I believe is free but not > really open source, but maybe I'm mistaking.
Qemu itself is LGPL, the kernel module is proprietary (but gratis). There is a GPL'd kernel module (qvm86[2]) that does the same job and hopefully this situation will improve in the future (i.e. both maintainers working on a GPL'd kernel module). Marco [1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2006-02/msg00110.html [2] http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/qvm86/ -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list