From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] ~* or -* Keyworded packages (cannot force install of "-*" GCC4)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:37:41
1 Luis Medinas <metalgod@g.o> skribis:
2 > On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 14:09 -0600, Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
3 > wrote:
4 > > You know, if this were my situation, I'd probably try installing gcc4
5 > > in /usr/local, following the instructions that come with gcc. I think
6 > > that is the least likely way to cause grief in my work. I would test
7 > > my software with that compiler, but without having to worry about how
8 > > it fits into my OS.
11 > No need for that, gcc is sloted so if you install gcc-4 you can continue
12 > to do everything with your previous gcc. I already rebuilded my machine
13 > with gcc-4 without any issues so far (most of the package maintainers
14 > alredy patched the code that contains problems with it).
15
16 I know, in fact I have an old gcc4 beta installed that way, but I
17 think the way I say is what I would do if I had the specific need that
18 was described. Or I might install gcc4 in my own /home/myname
19 directory.
23 Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org http://www.chemoelectric.org
24 Esperantistoj rajtas skribi al Bojo ĉe chemoelectric.org.
25 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush
26 (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)