From: Richard Lucking <lists@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Problems after upgrading to 4GB Ram
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:31:05
1 > When you tested modules on their own, did you try them in the same slots
2 > you use with everything installed? Or, did you put one module in slot
3 > 0, and then after that worked put the other module in slot 0? It could
4 > be a physical problem with one of your slots. Granted, your motherboard
5 > might not let you run one with memory only in slot 1, but if it does see
6 > if that makes a difference. Seems odd, but computers are hardware, and
7 > if there is some kind of defect in the traces you might get some noise
8 > on only one of the slots.
9 >
10 > Just grasping at straws, but I figured ideas won't hurt you at this point.
11
12 I've been grasping at plenty! I tried all combinations - and anything over
13 2gb caused problems.
14
15 > Did you try running memtest86 for a long period of time, or some tool
16 > designed to burn-in RAM? If the modules are fine on their own it could
17 > be a bad motherboard. If it is warranted you might consider returning
18 > it. Might not hurt to try swapping RAM with a friend if you can manage
19 > first.
20
21 The "solution", after much tweaking of settings, appears to be to turn down
22 the "CPU/DDR Clock Ratio" to 2/1.33 - anything higher causes lockups. I've
23 also "found" the hidden AGP settings, and the system is running quicker than
24 ever, so I'm finally happy!
25
26 However if I move the memory hole above 4gb the ethernet driver "fails"
27 still, but I an live withouth a few hundred mb for the moment.
28
29 With all these lockups I seem to have "broken" portage though, after every
30 emerge I get:
31
32 >>> Original instance of package unmerged safely.
33 Traceback (most recent call last):
34 File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 3505, in ?
35 mydepgraph.merge(pkglist)
36 File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 2034, in merge
37 retval=portage.doebuild(y,"merge",myroot,self.pkgsettings,edebug,tree="porttree")
38 File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 3037, in doebuild
39 vartree=vartree, prev_mtimes=prev_mtimes)
40 File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 3246, in merge
41 mydbapi=mydbapi, prev_mtimes=prev_mtimes)
42 File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 6693, in merge
43 cleanup=cleanup, mydbapi=mydbapi, prev_mtimes=prev_mtimes)
44 File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 6361, in treewalk
45 mylock = portage_locks.lockfile(os.path.join(destroot,
46 CONFIG_MEMORY_FILE))
47 File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_locks.py", line 128, in lockfile
48 lockfilename,myfd,unlinkfile,locking_method =
49 lockfile(mypath,wantnewlockfile,unlinkfile)
50
51 With the last two lines repeated hundreds of times, then:
52
53 File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_locks.py", line 128, in lockfile
54 lockfilename,myfd,unlinkfile,locking_method =
55 lockfile(mypath,wantnewlockfile,unlinkfile)
56 File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage_locks.py", line 64, in lockfile
57 if not os.path.exists(os.path.dirname(mypath)):
58 File "/usr/lib/python2.4/posixpath.py", line 119, in dirname
59 return split(p)[0]
60 File "/usr/lib/python2.4/posixpath.py", line 79, in split
61 if head and head != '/'*len(head):
62 RuntimeError: maximum recursion depth exceeded in cmp
65 The package appears to have been installed correctly. I've deleted the locks
66 dir, fscked the partition, and rebuilt/regen-ed everything I can think of...
67 anything I may have overlooked?
68
69 Cheers
70 Richard