From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] initrd
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:34:21
The entry:
"kernel /kernel-2.6.13-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192
real_root=/dev/hda3 udev"
in grub.conf should be on one line -- sorry --
I see that it was split into two lines at the space between 8192 and
real_root when it came back to me through the mail list handler and my mail
client. Probably happened to you also. As " real_root=/dev/hda3 udev " are
kernel arguments they need to be on the same line as "kernel".
This should solve the first problem.
Make the change above to grub.conf .
Reboot.

    I think the second problem is not related to the first. There is
probably a problem with the network settings. Page 40 to 46 of the amd64
gentoo handbook are a good start on the networking problem. Short summary
follows. My best guess is that adding dhcpcd to rc is necessary and not
documented.

    May I suggest (presuming your intent was to have the network mount
automatically and you connect via ethernet):

Run the command:

dir /sbin/dh*

If the response is "/sbin/dhcpcd" then the dhcp client demon is installed.
If "No such file or directory" error occurs, dhcpcd needs to be emerged. (Or
you wanted to use some other dhcp client.)

Run the command: (modified if you wanted to use and have emerged some other
dhcp client.)

rc-update add dhcpcd default

nano -w /etc/conf.d/hostname
        and
(Set the HOSTNAME variable to your hostname)
HOSTNAME="yourcomputername"

nano -w /etc/conf.d/domainname

(Set the DNSDOMAIN variable to your domain name)
DNSDOMAIN="yourhomenetworkname"rc-update add domainname defaultnano -w
/etc/conf.d/net
 (should be blank or all lines commented)

rc-update add net.eth0 default

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start