From: Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] initrd
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:34:21
1 The entry:
2 "kernel /kernel-2.6.13-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192
3 real_root=/dev/hda3 udev"
4 in grub.conf should be on one line -- sorry --
5 I see that it was split into two lines at the space between 8192 and
6 real_root when it came back to me through the mail list handler and my mail
7 client. Probably happened to you also. As " real_root=/dev/hda3 udev " are
8 kernel arguments they need to be on the same line as "kernel".
9 This should solve the first problem.
10 Make the change above to grub.conf .
11 Reboot.
12
13 I think the second problem is not related to the first. There is
14 probably a problem with the network settings. Page 40 to 46 of the amd64
15 gentoo handbook are a good start on the networking problem. Short summary
16 follows. My best guess is that adding dhcpcd to rc is necessary and not
17 documented.
18
19 May I suggest (presuming your intent was to have the network mount
20 automatically and you connect via ethernet):
21
22 Run the command:
23
24 dir /sbin/dh*
25
26 If the response is "/sbin/dhcpcd" then the dhcp client demon is installed.
27 If "No such file or directory" error occurs, dhcpcd needs to be emerged. (Or
28 you wanted to use some other dhcp client.)
29
30 Run the command: (modified if you wanted to use and have emerged some other
31 dhcp client.)
32
33 rc-update add dhcpcd default
34
35 nano -w /etc/conf.d/hostname
36 and
37 (Set the HOSTNAME variable to your hostname)
38 HOSTNAME="yourcomputername"
39
40 nano -w /etc/conf.d/domainname
41
42 (Set the DNSDOMAIN variable to your domain name)
43 DNSDOMAIN="yourhomenetworkname"rc-update add domainname defaultnano -w
44 /etc/conf.d/net
45 (should be blank or all lines commented)
46
47 rc-update add net.eth0 default
48
49 /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
52 ----- Original Message -----
53 From: "DR GM SEDDON" <gavin.m.seddon@×××××××××××××.uk>
54
55 <snip>
56
57 > Now it boots but asksme to
58 > 'specifya device to boot' it boots when I enter 'dev/hda3'. It is
59 > specified in 'grub.conf' and 'fstab'. Any ideas?
60 >
61 > Also, I get 'dhcpd:required function 'interface _is_up' but networking
62 > isn't working. And, I get 'netmount not started'. Are these issues
63 > related. Can you help?
64 > Regards,
65 > Gavin.
68 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list