From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 01:06:08
1 Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski wrote:
2 > Nothing much. Use like normal x86 besides:
3 > - Kernel set to Your CPU in Processor Setttings (generic x86_64 is
4 > good for all configurations).
5 > - Accept keyword for "Beta"-like packages is ~amd64 not ~x86
6 > - You don't have to set MMX flag, but set SSE, SSE2 and if Your CPU
7 > have it - SSE3 this will optimize floating point operations.
8 > - Enable SMP (symmetric Multiprocessing) where available - by flags.
9 > - If it's multicore (I have Intel on my LAP so don't know about Your
10 > CPU) set MAKEOPTS to cores count+1.
11 > - If it's multicore try to enable threads flag - this boosts
12 > performance even on single core cpus, but on multicore will make much
13 > difference.
14 > - Chceck by eselect what profile of portage you have set as default.
15 > If is not try setting some with Amd64 on path.
16 > - When GCC upgrade check if "multilib" is set - this will enable You
17 > to link with 32-bit libs and 64-bit (as standard).
18 > - In kernel set ciphers and algorithms (like MD5, SHA etc) to amd64
19 > version.
20 >
21 > I think that's it. Everything elese should be fine.
24 Good tips. I made a note of those too. Honestly, I hadn't even thought
25 about the changes needed in the kernel. It is a 4 core CPU too.
26
27 I hope to start the install in the next few days. I'm still waiting on
28 parts to finish the build. Post anything you can think of that might be
29 handy.
30
31 Thanks much.
32