From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] "For What It's Worth" (or How do I know my Gentoo source code hasn't been messed with?)
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 19:16:22
1 On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 15:04:12 -0700
2 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > then how do I know that the
6 > source code I build on my Gentoo machines hasn't been modified by someone
7 > to provide access to my machine, networks, etc.?
10 There are two approaches to system development that tend to mitigate
11 all security concerns:
12
13 1) Highly distributed development
14
15 2) Simplicity of design
16
17 If the component pieces of a system are independently developed
18 by widely scattered and unrelated development teams then there
19 is much less chance for any integrated security attacks.
20
21 Also, if the overall system remains simple and each component is
22 narrowly focused then the result is better transparency for the user
23 which insures less opportunity for attack.
24
25 Linux _used_ to adhere to these two principles, but currently it
26 is more and more moving toward monolithic development and much
27 reduced simplicity. I refer especially to the Freedesktop
28 project, which is slowly becoming the centralized headquarters
29 for everything graphical. I also mention systemd, with its plethora
30 of system daemons that obscure all system transparency.
31
32 From the beginning, Linux, due to its faithfulness to the above
33 two principles, allowed the user to fully control and easily understand
34 the operation of his system. This situation is now being threatened
35 with freedesktop, systemd, etc., and security attacks can only become
36 more feasible.
37
38 We, as a community of Linux users, have to adamantly oppose these
39 monolithic projects that attempt to destroy choice and transform
40 Linux into another Microsoft Windows.