From: Avuton Olrich <avuton@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 03:25:31
1 On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 >>
4 >> So, in my opinion, you are just a pro-paludis troll.
5 >>
6 >> And from what I can see, trolls are the prefered audience and power behind
7 >> paludis.
8 >
9 > Guys - let's try to keep this civil!
10 >
11 > There are lots of folks who use and like paludis who aren't trolls. I'm
12 > among them. The main thing I like is that the dependency management tends
13 > to work better than portage (or at least better than how portage used to
14 > work). It also has better native support for overlays, and it is a bit more
15 > actively developed. It also seems much faster to me - or at least it used
16 > to be (actually - I use portage so infrequently these days that it seems to
17 > take forever just to regenerate its various caches when I do use it -
18 > perhaps if I used emerge --sync that might behave differently).
19 >
20 > On the other hand, I do understand the attitude issues associated with some
21 > of the key developers and as pointed out in the FAQ quote it tends to show.
22 > I'm not sure I'd actively evangelize for its use as a result.
23 >
24 ..
25 >
26 > My recommendation is to look into paludis - and feel free to try it out. Be
27 > aware of its advantages and limitations. Then make the appropriate
28 > decision. As Duncan pointed out it isn't an ideal package manager if you
29 > use binary packages frequently.
30
31 Couldn't have said it more elegantly myself. ++
32 --
33 avuton
34 --
35 "I've got a fever. And the only prescription is more cowbell." --
36 Christopher Walken
37 --
38 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list