From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: OS setting in BIOS
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 16:31:40
1 Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org> posted
2 200805251240.17699.peter@××××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Sun, 25
3 May 2008 12:40:17 +0100:
4
5 > I was poking around in my BIOS this morning and rediscovered a setting
6 > to define the installed OS. I'd wondered about it some time ago and then
7 > forgotten about it.
8 >
9 > I can set the BIOS setting "OS Installation" to "Other" or to "64bit
10 > Linux 2.6.9". I have it set to Other at the moment. My questions are:
11 > what effect this setting is likely to have, and whether it's really
12 > specific to the version.
13 >
14 > This is a Supermicro H8DCE motherboard with dual Opteron 246s and 4GB
15 > RAM in four banks, two connected to each CPU.
16 >
17 > I've tried Google but found nothing.
18
19 Hmm... The most apropos thing I could find with Linux 2.6.9 was that it
20 introduced AMD dual-core support. This of course assumes that your board
21 is upgradable to dual-cores or that's obviously /not/ what it's
22 referencing. Anyway, Opteron 246s are still single-cores, so if that's
23 it, the setting probably won't matter to you at this point. However, if
24 you upgrade to dual-cores, you may wish to try toggling that setting
25 along with your kernel config updates turning on multi-core support, or
26 it's likely not to work quite as efficiently.
27
28 I'm guessing the alternative presents the cores as separate CPUs, less
29 confusing for the OS if it didn't know about multi-cores, but not as
30 efficient scheduling as you'd get with the kernel's multi-core scheduling
31 support, which with multi-core scheduling enabled, knows they are on the
32 same chip and thus that it costs less to transfer a job from one core to
33 the other than to a core on another chip.
34
35 I'm not sure about it, but the more I think about it, the more likely
36 that possibility seems to me. If that's not it, it's sure a good fit for
37 the bit we /do/ know, that (1) the option is 64-bit related (the option
38 says so), that (2) it's a kernel 2.6.9 change (the option says so), that
39 (3) it's Linux specific (the option says so), that (4) it's an AMD
40 system, and that (5) the matching kernel (2+3) added support for the
41 matching brand (4) and that it was 64-bit related (1). If that's a
42 simply coincidental set of matches, it's VERY coincidental.
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
50 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list