From: Mark <whitetr6@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: emerge --emptytree problem
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 17:12:14
1 Thanks all. Well, sometime in the middle of the night, the build
2 failed again, this time on ldap, while trying to install samba. I
3 think what I'll do is scale the USE list wayyyy back.
4
5 As I'm reading more, and especially from the comments from those who
6 have responded here, I think my approach is wrong. The first time I
7 installed Gentoo, which was 2004.3, I used a USE list almost identical
8 to what's in the manual, because I had no idea what would work and
9 what wouldn't.
10
11 That gave me a pretty stable system, except some programs would grab
12 all of the CPU for a minute or two (e.g. PAN newsreader). Then one
13 night I did an emerge --update world, made the suggested updates with
14 etc-update, and rebooted. I no longer had a usable kde at that point.
15 So, not worrying about the few things I'd lose, I just started
16 rebuilding from scratch, which brings me to now.
17
18 I'm going to research some more and see how much I can learn about
19 setting these options before I try again.
20