From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] virtual/x11 - what is it?
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:11:48
1 On 9/14/06, Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > If you are using modular X (i.e. xorg 7.0 or higher), you should mask
5 > this package as it could potentially screw up your dependency tree. It
6 > could be that emerge then reports you that it can't resolve the
7 > dependencies for some other package. You could try the ~amd64 version
8 > then, assuming you aren't on a ~amd64 system already. If that doesn't
9 > fix it, please file a bug on bugs.gentoo.org for that package with a
10 > subject like 'app-foo/bar is not ported to modular X'.
11 >
12 > --
13 > Kind Regards,
14 >
15 > Simon Stelling
16 > Gentoo/AMD64 developer
17
18 Hi Simon,
19 I think I am OK now.
20
21 I actually did the upgrade to gcc-4.1 before I did the Xorg-7
22 upgrade. For some reason with the old Xorg-6.8 I had the virtual x11
23 package installed. After upgrading to Xorg-7 I started seeing messages
24 about updating this virtual package which caused me to ask some
25 questions. I have now done an emerge -C virtual/x11, removed it, and
26 portage is no longer trying to install the new one.
27
28 To finish up this process emerge -pvDuN world says everything is up
29 to date. revdep-rebuild wants to rebuild 5 package which is in process
30 now. virtual/x11 is not on the system anymore. I may do an emerge
31 --depclean and look around for things to be removed.
32
33 Thanks,
34 Mark
35 --