From: Edward Middleton <edward@××××××××××××.jp>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Root on Raid and LVM - Solved
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 02:17:11
1 >Anyway... it was quite cool to realize the 2.6 kernel handles partitioned
2 >raid, now, and with direct boot-time kernel raid assembly, I could run
3 >root on raid6 without an initrd/initramfs!
4 That is pretty cool that you recognize a partitioned raid at boot.
5
6 >As I was dreading the
7 >complexity of an initrd solution, I grabbed the opportunity to avoid it
8 >and still have a raid-backed root, when I saw it!
9
10 The initrd part of setup is easy if you use genkernel. The only issue I
11 had was using an out of kernel driver but that can be handled by the
12 --callback="emerge driver name" and adding the driver to
13 /usr/share/genkernel/x86_64/modules_load
14 You will also need to set lvmraid=[raid device] real_root=[lvm device]
15 on your kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst
16
17 > So, no root on LVM here!
18 The reason for lvm root is that you can resize the root partition. It
19 is also trivial to setup a secondary rescue root partition in case you
20 mess up your system.
21
22 Edward
23 --