From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:26:44
1 Beso wrote:
2 > 2008/5/29 Hemmann, Volker Armin <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>:
3 >
4 >> On Donnerstag, 29. Mai 2008, Mark Haney wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Do I NEED kde-meta-4.0 installed? The HOWTO says otherwise. I'd prefer
7 >>> to have a chance to fall back on to 3.5.9 if I need to.
8 >> you can have kde-meta-4.0.4 and kde3.5.9 installed at the same time. I
9 >> do...
10 >> --
11 >> gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list
14 > you aren't forced to have it installed but since the deps aren't fully ok
15 > nowadays the kdebase-meta-4.0.4 is good to be installed. and since it's a
16 > slotted install (as almost all gentoo major bump versions or even minor in
17 > some cases as python, gcc, java, autotools and autoconf for example) they
18 > are likely to not interfere with each others. you'll just have to make a
19 > copy of your .kde folder. the first time you'll login the system will create
20 > a .kde3.5, a .kde4 and a .kde symlink in your home directory. the first is
21 > the config for the 3.5 enviroment, the second for the kde4 one and the
22 > symlink points to the last environment you've used and after login is
23 > pointing to the in use environment. if you haven't started yet kde4 and find
24 > a .kde4 folder in your home directory then move it elsewhere and retry a
25 > login after installing the kdebase-meta-4.0.4. this is the minimum required
26 > package along with kdebase-startkde-4.0.4 to be able to use kde4. if you
27 > don't like it then just remove the kde4 slot packages and you'll stay with
28 > kde3.5. just remember that a qt rebuild needs a kdelibs rebuild: the qt4
29 > needs also the kdelibs-3.5.x rebuild to have the qt4 apps still working in
30 > the correct way (lastfm would display only broken stuff without kdelibs
31 > rebuild after a qt4 upgrade/rebuild), while the qt3 doesn't need a
32 > kdelibs-4.0.4 rebuild, but only a kdelibs-3.5.x one. i'd also advice you to
33 > leave the 4.0.4 branch and test the 4.1 beta one (seems to be better in
34 > terms of quality and usability than 4.0.4 one).
37 Hey, I'll all for testing 4.1, but how do I get it? I don't see it in
38 portage?
43 Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
46 Mark Haney
47 Sr. Systems Administrator
48 ERC Broadband
49 (828) 350-2415
50
51 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
52 --
53 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list