From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Wine on AMD64?
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:06:29
1 > I just meant Wine on AMD64, i.e. - the machines on this list. My
2 > interest in using Wine for NetFlix will be multimedia intensive, so it
3 > will likely require codec and stuff like that to work well. Much of
4 > that stuff hardly works on 32-bit Linux. I was interested in whether
5 > power users, not dummies like me, we able to get good results. If they
6 > can then possibly by trying hard someone like me might. If they can't
7 > then I know I never will.
8
9 Wine is a 32 bit application only. Wine can run on amd64, but it either
10 requires the emul-linux-x86 libs installed (a multi lib setup) or a 32
11 bit chroot environment. So for all practical purposes, when running wine
12 on amd64, you are really just running wine on a standard x86 platform.
13 There is no 64 bit support for wine, and I doubt there ever will be
14 support (at least in the next 10 years).
15
16 As for the win32 codecs, the support has come a long way (at least on
17 the native 32 bit platform). I have recently switched my amd64 platform
18 back to x86 and I have not had too many problems playing streaming
19 content for WMP and Real Audio. I can only assume that since the amd64
20 platform uses the same win32 codecs, the support should be similar.
21 This, of course also assumes using the firefox-bin package along with
22 a multi lib setup as all the codecs are only 32 bit.
23
24 Now, if you are interested in getting IE running on Wine, you may want
25 to look at:
26 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Internet_Explorer_6_SP1
27 It doesn't look like IE7 is supported on Wine yet but I would think
28 NetFlix would work with IE6.
29
30 Brett