From: "Dice R. Random" <dicerandom@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:12:47
1 On 9/27/06, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I don't think someone would really file a bug report for this It's true
3 > that my OCD about optimizing becomes painful when I see my flags
4 > overruled but I (still) can control myself ;-)
5
6 Your cflags really aren't going to change much. It's better to stick
7 with something that's been tested by a large number of people and is
8 known to be safe. For instance, consider the 3rd post in this forum
9 thread [1]. Even with an application like povray which is highly math
10 and CPU driven tossing in all kinds of crazy cflags only results in a
11 maximum of 0.05s (1.7%) improvement over the baseline -O2 -march
12 settings, and that sort of difference in times is almost certainly
13 within the margin of error. Most of the cflags (including -O3)
14 actually decreased performance.
15
16 [1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=613970
17 --