From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: AGAIN URGENT: Re: Re: urgent: Segfaults after synchronously emerging|downloading 30GB|burnng a DVD iso image
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 05:36:21
1 Dieter Ries <clip2@×××.de> posted 200606031405.30495.clip2@×××.de,
2 excerpted below, on Sat, 03 Jun 2006 14:05:30 +0200:
3
4 > and here is the output of emerge -e system:
5 >
6 > localhost / # emerge -ev system
7 > Calculating system dependencies ...done!
8 >>>> emerge (1 of 116) sys-devel/patch-2.5.9 to /
9 [snip]
10 >>>> sys-devel/patch-2.5.9 merged.
11 > localhost / # emerge -ev system
12 > Speicherzugriffsfehler
13 > localhost / #
14
15 So it emerges the first of 116 packages and returns to the prompt, no
16 error or anything, then trying it again results in (courtesy babelfish)
17 "memory access error"?
18
19 Ouch!
20
21 That single package merged, patch, yet replacing glibc fixes the problem?
22 It makes no sense! If the problem is glibc, it shouldn't occur until you
23 reach glibc in the emerge --emptytree cycle. Patch is simple and wouldn't
24 be invoked by a second emerge attempt, that early in the attempt, so it
25 can't be patch that's the problem. It has to be either portage (or
26 python or bash, portage dependencies), or glibc, or your hardware (still).
27
28 What happens if you "emerge -pe > pkg.list", to get a list of packages,
29 and then emerge each one in order by itself (use --oneshot so you don't
30 clog up your world file), going down the list one at a time?
31
32 What about doing the quickpkg-off-the-CD thing with the packages listed
33 above? Maybe your earlier issues caused one of them to emerge defective,
34 and it's causing portage to do strange things. If so, once you replace
35 the right one, you'll be back in business. I'd try python and portage
36 first. as bash appears to be reasonably stable or your shell would be
37 crashing and you'd be having to relogin all the time.
38
39 It's also possible that your portage installed-package database is screwed
40 up. Actually, this seems the most likely to me as it would explain a bit
41 of the symptoms, being able to emerge a single package using --emptytree,
42 which tries to write the new package info to the db, which then crashes
43 emerge so it goes no further, and further attempts to emerge just crash.
44 (There are still unanswered questions, but let's ignore them for the
45 moment.)
46
47 What's your disk layout? Do you have /var on a separate partition or is
48 it on your main / partition? What filesystem are you using on it, ext3,
49 reiserfs, something else?
50
51 First, try copying /var/db/pkg to a different location for backup. Then
52 delete it if possible. Unmount that partition if possible and do an fsck
53 on it (maybe from a LiveCD if it's your root partition). Now boot or
54 remount your system and NOW try an emerge -e system (-e = --emptytree).
55 Does it work any better?
56
57 You also mention errors scanning /etc, presumably using etc-update or
58 similar. It may be that it needs fscked as well.
59
60 If those don't work, it may be a lot of work, but it may be simpler to
61 to think about starting from scratch again, with a new stage-3 install.
62 Something's screwed up, and it's defying major attempts at finding and
63 fixing it. I'm also beginning to wonder about the stability of your
64 hardware. Someone recently posted with bad memory problems, and I've had
65 both that and dying hard drives* in the last couple years, so I'm all too
66 familiar with hardware issues.
67
68 Good luck! I'm glad it's not me dealing with it, but you certainly have
69 my sympathies! I've had close enough experiences in the past to know what
70 it's like, and it's not fun!
71
72 (BTW, quoting the context you are replying to, snipped from the entire
73 message just to what you are replying to, then replying underneath, so a
74 reader knows exactly what you are replying to, tends to work better for
75 mailing lists and newsgroups than reply on top, unsnipped quote
76 underneath. I know you have a lot to worry about right now, just sayin'.)
77
78 * The hard drive thing was a case of a bad AC last summer causing drive
79 overheating -- not surprising when summer temps here in Phoenix are known
80 to routinely pass 46C (115F) and un-air-conditioned inside or sun baked
81 temps can easily reach 60C (150F). The CPUs and rest of the hardware were
82 fine, and the drive wasn't entirely dead either, but apparently had
83 head-crash rings from the heat-expanded spinning platters contacting the
84 head. I'm now running RAID-6 with Seagate drives with a 5 year warrantee,
85 and have a new AC, so hopefully no more of that this year!
90 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
93 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list