From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:02:56
On Wednesday 08 December 2010 23:23:18 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote: > > Hi, > > > > First post here. I'm usually on gentoo user. I'm in the process of > > building a new system which will be 64 bit. I am looking for advice. I > > would like people to post things that I might run into that one wouldn't > > expect and some things that are different from x86. I was looking at > > something on my old rig and noticed the USE flag smp. I didn't know > > about that until I ran up on it. I learned something by pure dumb luck. > > > > I'm a long time Gentoo user. Installed it at the early stages of 1.4. I > > also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup. The processor is a > > AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz. It will start out with one 4Gb stick of > > ram. I plan to expand that later. > > > > What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so > > obvious for someone new to 64 bit? > > > > Thanks. > > > > Dale > > Hi Dale, > It's been so long since I've done anything that wasn't 64-bit so > it's hard to answer. I think the 64-bit install guide is quite good. > One thing that I think some folks (me included) do that differs from > the guide (at least the last time I read it) is to use grub-static > instead of grub. I suspect that's because it's 32-bit and more > compatible. > > Other than that I can't think of anything I do differently. > > Best of luck with the new install. I'm sure it will go great. > > Cheers, > Mark
Hi Dale, I run x86 on one machine (Asus EEE 901) and amd64 on all other machines. Last time I installed, I followed the standard Gentoo guide and I didn't have to use "grub-static". Not sure when this was fixed, but the current grub in portage works fine on 64bit. The only thing I can think of that is different is that you will need the nsplugin-wrapper still for some 32bit plugins to work in firefox. -- Joost Roeleveld