From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:02:56
1 On Wednesday 08 December 2010 23:23:18 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > First post here. I'm usually on gentoo user. I'm in the process of
6 > > building a new system which will be 64 bit. I am looking for advice. I
7 > > would like people to post things that I might run into that one wouldn't
8 > > expect and some things that are different from x86. I was looking at
9 > > something on my old rig and noticed the USE flag smp. I didn't know
10 > > about that until I ran up on it. I learned something by pure dumb luck.
11 > >
12 > > I'm a long time Gentoo user. Installed it at the early stages of 1.4. I
13 > > also use KDE and have fluxbox installed as a backup. The processor is a
14 > > AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.2Ghz. It will start out with one 4Gb stick of
15 > > ram. I plan to expand that later.
16 > >
17 > > What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so
18 > > obvious for someone new to 64 bit?
19 > >
20 > > Thanks.
21 > >
22 > > Dale
23 >
24 > Hi Dale,
25 > It's been so long since I've done anything that wasn't 64-bit so
26 > it's hard to answer. I think the 64-bit install guide is quite good.
27 > One thing that I think some folks (me included) do that differs from
28 > the guide (at least the last time I read it) is to use grub-static
29 > instead of grub. I suspect that's because it's 32-bit and more
30 > compatible.
31 >
32 > Other than that I can't think of anything I do differently.
33 >
34 > Best of luck with the new install. I'm sure it will go great.
35 >
36 > Cheers,
37 > Mark
38
39 Hi Dale,
40
41 I run x86 on one machine (Asus EEE 901) and amd64 on all other machines.
42 Last time I installed, I followed the standard Gentoo guide and I didn't have
43 to use "grub-static".
44 Not sure when this was fixed, but the current grub in portage works fine on
45 64bit.
46
47 The only thing I can think of that is different is that you will need the
48 nsplugin-wrapper still for some 32bit plugins to work in firefox.
51 Joost Roeleveld