From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] no sound in firefox java
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 01:02:53
1 > I previously had a problem where the first firefox session
2 > would get sound,
3
4 OSS or ALSA?
5 On 18/06/2011 10:03 AM, "Daiajo Tibdixious" <daiajo@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > If I use firefox-bin (32 bit) or firefox (64 bit) on youtube, I get
7 > sound no problems.
8 > If I run mplayer I get sound also.
9 > If I use firefox-bin with a java applet that plays sound, I get no sound
10 at all.
11 > I can't load this applet in firefox, which is why I still use
12 > firefox-bin for it.
13 >
14 > Googling "no sound in firefox java" gives lots of hits, mainly from
15 > people with the same problem.
16 > 1 solution was to "modprobe snd-pcm-oss" which did not help. I.m
17 > fairly sure this is redundant with base layout 2.
18 >
19 > I upgraded the kernel twice, from linux-2.6.36-gentoo-r5 where I
20 > initially had the problem,
21 > to linux-2.6.36-gentoo-r8 and now on linux-2.6.38-gentoo-r6 paying
22 > careful attention to all the sound related configuration options. This
23 > had no effect.
24 >
25 > I've run out of things to try, so I'm asking the list.
26 >
27 > I previously had a problem where the first firefox session would get
28 > sound, but no subsequent application, including firefox would have
29 > sound, in other words the first invocation of firefox would lock the
30 > sound. I could live with that, this current problem is far more
31 > annoying.
32 >