From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] alsa mixer question
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:34:10
On Saturday 05 November 2005 10:43, Steve Herber wrote:
> I am running a 2.6.14 kernel: > > uname -a > Linux lurch 2.6.14-gentoo #1 PREEMPT Mon Oct 31 01:06:31 PST 2005 x86_64 > AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux > > using the 2005.0 profile and ~amd64<F4> ARCH on a Shuttle SN85G4. > > In general a single sound application, xmms, mplayer, torcs, works. The > problem is that the browser, galeon and others, often open /dev/sound/dsp. > Then when I try to run a second application that also uses sound, the > second application fails when it tries to open /dev/sound/dsp. > > Does anyone have recommendations that I could follow to more easily get > multiple applications to work together? > > I just want to be able to start a browser, xmms, and then run a few laps > with Torcs. >
have you built everything with the alsa-useflag? Are you using the latest alsa-libs? If yes, go to alsa-project.org and read about dmix. I have no problems to have douzends of apps playing sound simultanously (tried with civclient+amarok+alsaplayer+wesnoth+other stuff) -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list