From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How do I choose a second window manager? [FROM XFCE]
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 00:28:28
1 On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 6:18 AM, Martin Herrman<martin@×××××××.nl> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Mark Knecht<markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Yep. And so small I built it by the time your response came back and
5 >> am answering your message from within it. Granted, black screen and
6 >> the menus don't see any of the apps I have installed, so that's the
7 >> same old problem. Isn't there some app for automatically picking up
8 >> apps on putting the menu together auto-magically?
9 >>
10 >> Cheers,
11 >> Mark
12 >
13 > "The Xfce 4 Appfinder is part of the Xfce 4 Desktop Environment and
14 > features application search on the whole system. It searches for
15 > .desktop files based on the freedesktop spec and makes an index of the
16 > found apps."
17 >
18 > Source: xfce website:
19 > http://www.xfce.org/documentation/4.2/manuals/xfce4-appfinder
20 >
21 > Does Gentoo use these .desktop files?
25 OK - I emerged XFCE4 and am writing this message from there. It finds
26 all my apps and the menues seem to be arranged reasonably so I suspect
27 that it might work nicely over time. I haven't had time yet to check
28 any real performance issues - xruns using Jack, or other things that
29 might be important to me, but it seems like a reasonable little setup
30 and it feels responsive starting up.
31
32 One thing I'm not finding is it doesn't seem to allow a multi-file
33 drag on my desktop to change icon positions. That a minor
34 disappointment. Certainly not a big deal for my life, but I wonder how
35 you mive 20 files created by some audio program to a new folder using
36 the GUI?
37
38 I thought I was running 1600x1200 in Gnome but XFCE is only offering
39 as high as 1280x1024. I'll check that later and I'm probably
40 incorrect.
41
42 In general it might be a replacement for Gnome. Feels good. If I had
43 to complain about something it might be that the default setup doesn't
44 seem very sexy. XFCE might benefit from some marketing input. I'll
45 have to spend some time learning how I might improve things a bit.
46
47 Thanks,
48 Mark