From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: system broken?
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:47:57
1 "Martin Herrman" <martin@×××××××.nl> posted
2 40bb8d3b0812090605r624530efhddc8eaec105ed3bd@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:05:36 +0100:
4
5 > What has happened? What to do next?
6
7 Most of those errors seem to be portage itself choking. I just did an
8 update here and had a python remerge due to new USE flag (2.5.2-r8, I'm
9 on ~amd64). If you had a python update or remerge too, that could be
10 it. Check and see if your python has the expat use flag and whether it's
11 on or not. If you do and it's off, that /may/ be the problem, as I left
12 mine on.
13
14 Whether it's python or portage (I suspect one of the two, if it was glibc
15 you'd almost certainly have far bigger problems), you'll likely not be
16 able to remerge a good package to fix it, since portage keeps crashing.
17 If you've been using FEATURES=buildpkg, you should be able to untar an
18 older package version over top of your system, using basically the below
19 procedure but using your own package rather than the tarball from the
20 URL. If not, then use the tarball from the URL listed in the following
21 document:
22
23 Manually fixing broken portage installations
24 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/manually-fixing-portage.xml
25
26 That's for portage itself. If that's not it, try python. If you've been
27 using FEATURES=buildpkg you should have an older package to use. If not,
28 the bash part of portage should at least work, so you should be able to
29 use ebuild.sh to step-by-step thru emerging python, or you can download a
30 stage tarball, unpack it somewhere, chroot into it, quickpkg python, then
31 untar that package over your main system using a procedure like that for
32 portage, above.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman