From: David Anderson <david@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] AMD64 - Firefox, flash, java, mplayer and more....
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 17:00:11
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 > My wife and I signed up for a class that is taught partially in
5 >person and to a great extent on the web. To use the material it's the
6 >usual set of requirements - Windows, IE or Firefox, Java, Flash, an
7 >audio player that plays stuff on the page, etc., or a Mac. My wife's
8 >32-bit Gentoo machine is working fairly well, although I am having a
9 >couple of fairly serious Java problems. (Which I hope can be worked
10 >out.) My AMD64 machine, on the other hand, is failing terribly and I
11 >really need it to work, somehow...
12 >
13 > To this end I'm at the very early stages of a 32-bit install. I'd
14 >hate to have to drop back to 32-bit operation on this machine full
15 >time, although I'm not actually running anything that has to run
16 >64-bit so maybe it's a non-issue really, other than the work involved
17 >to get there.
18 >
19 > Some questions:
20 >
21 >1) If I build and boot a 32-bit version of Gentoo it is my
22 >understanding that the AMD64 will be completely 32-bit compatible and
23 >that I can run whatever any other IA-32 machine can run. Is this
24 >correct?
25 >
26 >2) If I build a 32-bit install is there anyway to run this 32-bit
27 >environment within the 64-bit environment? I assume not.
28 >
29 > Thanks in advance. You all have been quite helpful over the last
30 >few months and I'm more than sure that you will be now.
31 >
32 >cheers,
33 >Mark
37 Hi,
38
39 i have just got my new AMD64 system, and am going through and install.
40
41 Point 1, yes, it will operate 32bit apps and be fully compatable
42
43 in answer to point 2 I noticed this
44
45 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=3
46
47 these are the instructions for the 32-bit chroot.
48
49 hope this helps you..
50
51 David Anderson