From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Cannot emerge gcc-3.4.5
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:23:12
Stanislaw Jesmanowicz posted
<9ac0Doti.1144677597.7145800.stan@××××××××××××××××.com>, excerpted below,
on Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:59:57 +0200:

> Thank you (all) for quick reply. > > Setting IA32 emulation in the kernel solved the problem.
=8^)
> But it surprise me quite a lot ... > I am using Gentoo on AMD64 boxes for 2 years already, and this is the > first time that holds me from smooth update. > What if I wanted to run strict AMD64 executables only ?
If you didn't want or need 32-bit compatibility, you could use the nomultilib subprofiles. These are 64-bit only.
> It also reminds me a nuisance - grub doesn't execute on running amd64 > system: > file /sbin/grub > /sbin/grub: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for > GNU/Linux 2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
Correct. For backward compatibility reasons, amd64 boots in 32-bit mode. Actually, I believe it boots in 16-bit real-mode, but it's still handled by the 32-bit executable format. It switches to 64-bit mode after loading the kernel, if a 64-bit kernel is loaded, of course. However, with 32-bit enabled in the kernel, you should find that grub will now execute. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list