From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: boot Gentoo from USB key
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 08:31:30
1 On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 11:33 -0400, Drake Donahue wrote:
2 > >
3 > > If I'm correct you're running into the ext3 large inode issue. Briefly,
4 > > old versions used 128 byte inodes, while newer versions use 256 byte
5 > > inodes by default, in ordered to be ready for the improvements coming in
6 > > ext4. The problem is that legacy grub doesn't support the larger inodes,
7 > > and isn't being developed any longer so that isn't going to change, while
8 > > new grub isn't even scheduled for format compatibility stability until
9 > > late this year!
12 > An interesting find. Were the inodes for ext2 also defaulted to 256 or only
13 > those for ext3? This question relevant as Raffaele only talked about using
14 > ext2 and vfat partitions on the pen drive. In a quick search I found no
15 > indications. If ext2 inode structure was also changed much more should be
16 > heard about this.
19 I confirm that by default mkfs.ext2 created 256 byte inodes so I'm
20 positive about Duncan's suggestion. I'll try to re-create the partition
21 forcing inode size to 128. I'm using stable amd64 system, updated a
22 couple of weeks ago.
25 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list