From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: GCC-4.5.2 Has Serious Problems
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 00:27:16
1 On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 02:44:36 +0300
2 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > >> unsigned long int *px = (unsigned long int*)&x;
5
6 > And here you can read more thorough information about strict aliasing:
7 >
8 > http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/06/10/type-punning-and-strict-aliasing
11 Thanks for this link. I can see what's happening now.
12
13 These types of pointers are admittedly unusual, but it's the only
14 quick way I know to load a double variable with a certain bit pattern,
15 or to convert big/small endian values, etc. I ordinarily don't do these
16 things, but when I do I 'll keep this aliasing in mind.
17
18 Frank Peters