From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: vectorization (was: gcc4 CFLAGS)
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:26:26
1 Peter Humphrey <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 200609241147.22022.prh@××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Sun, 24 Sep
3 2006 11:47:21 +0000:
4
5 > Is there a way to specify CFLAGS on the command line in such a way as to
6 > negate (unset) those that are set in /etc/make.conf? I have -combine and
7 > -ftree-pre in make.conf, and while emerge -e world is running it fails
8 > some packages by not recognising those two. When that happens I want to
9 > emerge --resume --skipfirst so as not to lose my place in the world
10 > emerge, and in another terminal emerge the ones that have failed.
11
12 Kevin answers your direct question. However, based on the other thread, I
13 believe your main problem is that you are still using gcc 3.x. Those
14 flags I use are for gcc >= 4.1, and *WILL* cause complications on gcc 3.x,
15 because 3.x simply doesn't recognize them. As it doesn't recognize them,
16 it throws warnings, which causes parts of configure to believe a test
17 failed and that something (like the -fPIC flag that must be added for
18 libraries on amd64, don't put it in cflags yourself tho) isn't supported,
19 so they remove it, causing merges to fail.
20
21 IOW, don't try to use my CFLAGS on gcc 3.x! It WILL cause problems!
22 Either upgrade (and switch to using gcc-config or eselect compiler) to gcc
23 4.1.1, or go back to your regular CFLAGS on gcc 3.x and rebuild to ensure
24 you have a clean gcc 3.x system without any contamination from gcc 4.x
25 only CFLAGS.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list