From: steve <steve@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] nvidia X server issue
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 01:45:59
1 On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 11:37 -0300, Rodrigo Gnoatto Amaral wrote:
2 > I'm running a fully ~amd64 environment, using Xorg 7.1 and Nvidia
3 > module, but I had to run
4 > to do so.
5 > It works just fine, with direct rendering: yes and everything else,
6 > but show me a warning every emerge --deep
9 Ditto to that -
10
11 Running ~amd64 with xorg 7.1
12
13 then -
14 # emerge --nodeps nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx
15
16 Initially had the font problem, so I set :
17
18 Option "RenderAccel" "false" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
19 and also -
20 cp /usr/lib/libXfont.so.1.4.1 /usr/lib/libXfont.so.1.5
21
22 I dont fully grok what the issue is here with fonts and Xfontlib, but
23 the above hacks combine to fix all my font problems, so I am happy for
24 now.
27 Works real well in 2D mode - will do some testing with 3D stuff when
28 time permits. glxinfo shows Nvidia binaries in use, and glxgears hitting
29 1900 fps .. which is superficially fine from my point of view.
32 --------------------
33
34 Note on Compositing effects :
35
36 tried this:
37 Option "RenderAccel" "true" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
38 xcompmgr -c -l -5 -t -5 -o 0.5 &
39
40 - Drop shadows / compositing work well in accellerated mode, but font
41 problem remains.
42
43 Option "RenderAccel" "false" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
44 xcompmgr -c -l -5 -t -5 -o 0.5 &
45
46 - Drop shadows / compositing still work, but crawls like a snail. Fonts
47 look fine. Takes seconds to refresh a text window whilst scrolling ...
48 eww.
53
54 So for now, Ill stick with nvidia binaries, 8762, with xorg-7.1, and
55 renderAccell OFF. Extremely snappy 2D workstation. Going from GDM
56 login to gnome desktop is lightning fast.
60 SteveOC
63 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list