From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:42:33
1 "Bob Young" <BYoung@××××××××××.com> posted
2 FAEEIJPAOFEMBBLKPMJEMEHBHKAA.BYoung@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on
3 Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:32:00 -0700:
4
5 [Duncan wrote...]
6 >> My tough standards are my own to
7 >> live by, if I can, nobody else's unless they want to adopt them as well.
8 >
9 > I'm not suggesting you should change your opinion or views in any way. I'm
10 > only suggesting that "slaveryware" and "freedomware" are not accurate
11 > terms. I'm suggesting that the more general "open source" "GPLed" "CSS"
12 > "OSS" "closed source" etc, are descriptive enough to make the point, and
13 > they do so without being somewhat condescending and mildly insulting to
14 > others who may not share your strong views of open source.
15
16 See, that's where my meaning gets messed up. I'm talking about
17 slaveryware not because that's what you see it as, and /certainly/ not
18 because that's what the average user would see it as, but because that's
19 what I see it as. It is a term describing an attitude/realization to which
20 I've evolved in my own journey thru life, and as such, pertains to that
21 peculiar viewpoint. You don't have to call it slaveryware as you've
22 obviously taken a different journey and are at a different point in your
23 life, so you don't see it as such, which is fine. Only know that I do see
24 it as such given the point in my life journey I've arrived at and seeing
25 it, will call it just as I see it, no politically correct word games, just
26 my straight unvarnished viewpoint.
27
28 That's what I mean about not forcing my views, while at the same time
29 being very honest, no politically correct toning down for niceness or
30 whatever, about my own viewpoint. I'm not asking you to accept my
31 definition, I'm simply saying that's the way I see it and /only/ asking
32 you to accept that /I/ see it that way. You can call it the greatest
33 invention since sliced bread if you want, it won't affect the journey I've
34 taken, nor my viewpoint, and as soon as I realize that's what you believe,
35 well, I'll accept that and interpret any references in your posts to "the
36 greatest thing since sliced bread" in "Bob Young speak" as "slaveryware"
37 in "Duncan speak". =8^) All I'm asking is that /whatever/ you choose to
38 call it, you accept my viewpoint as my own just as I'd accept yours as
39 your own, and do the reverse translation. =8^)
40
41 For me, it's slaveryware, so that's what I call it. It really is that
42 simple.
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
50 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list