From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: emerge --depclean question
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 23:17:06
1 On 12/31/06, Marek Wróbel <smbmarek@×××××××××××.pl> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > <SNIP
4 > > I'm proceeding along getting a number of packages removed which is
5 > > good. However here's an example one I'm not sure how to handle or why
6 > > it's showing up. I've run --depclean -p and see what appears to be an
7 > > unneeded library called libwmf. However when I try tracing my way back
8 > > to find what depending on it I eventually get to xine-ui which I use
9 > > all the time:
10 > >
11 > > lightning ~ # equery d libwmf
12 > > [ Searching for packages depending on libwmf... ]
13 > > media-gfx/imagemagick-6.3.0.5
14 > > lightning ~ # equery d imagemagick
15 > > [ Searching for packages depending on imagemagick... ]
16 > > gnome-extra/libgsf-1.14.2
17 > > media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.2-r3
18 > > media-video/transcode-1.0.2-r3
19 > > lightning ~ # equery d xine-lib
20 > > [ Searching for packages depending on xine-lib... ]
21 > > media-sound/amarok-1.4.3-r1
22 > > media-video/xine-ui-0.99.5_pre20060716
23 > > media-video/totem-2.16.4
24 > > lightning ~ #
25 >
26 > This issue can be related to changes in USE flags. xine-lib depends on
27 > imagemagick only when "imagemagick" USE flag is set. And imagemagck
28 > depends on libwmf only when "wmf" USE flag is set. So these packages
29 > were merged probably when you had these flags set. Later USE flags may
30 > have changed (new portage profile?) and currently they most likely are
31 > not set.
32 >
33 > Moreover, I have noticed that equery takes conditional dependencies into
34 > consideration regardless of USE flags state. Thus it shows that
35 > imagemagick is required by xine-lib even when it actually isn't (because
36 > you don't have "imagemagick" flag set).
39 This is pretty much what happened. I've finished removing all the
40 packages that depclean wanted me to and things look good now.
41 revdep-rebuild is happy. emerge -DuN world is happy. --depclean says
42 there is nothing to clean out.
43
44 It seems that maybe over time some of the packages higher up have had
45 USE flags added to them. Maybe the old package didn't make a function
46 prunable with a flag so the library got installed and later the flag
47 was added to prune it out but the new emerge only upgraded the package
48 and didn't remove the libraries that were no longer needed.
49
50 At least hat's the best I can figure out.
51
52 Everything is clean now. thanks for the help!
53
54 Cheers,
55 Mark
56