From: Mike Arthur <mike@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Moving to no-multilib profile
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:20:26
On Thursday 20 April 2006 11:21, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 15:29, Mike Arthur <mike@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote > > about '[gentoo-amd64] Moving to no-multilib profile': > > Is there anything else I need to/should do before/after I move to the > > profile? > > If you use grub, prepare to abandon it in favor of either the binary > version or lilo, which has a binary blob anyway... > > From what I understand, it's either impossible or just extremely > impractical... something about initializing memory tables or the IOMMU > being required before you can switch to 64-bit mode... > > I've been up for almost 24 hours (without properly preparing) so I'm a > little fuzzy right now...
Can grub not be compiled in 64-bit mode? Not a problem for me to use the binary, I just want to avoid the current situation of having loads of crap in lib32 and also a chroot with all the stuff repeated, which seems pretty pointless to me, until we can do emerge -arch x86 mplayer or whatever. Mike -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list