From: Mike Arthur <mike@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Moving to no-multilib profile
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:20:26
1 On Thursday 20 April 2006 11:21, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 19 April 2006 15:29, Mike Arthur <mike@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote
3 >
4 > about '[gentoo-amd64] Moving to no-multilib profile':
5 > > Is there anything else I need to/should do before/after I move to the
6 > > profile?
7 >
8 > If you use grub, prepare to abandon it in favor of either the binary
9 > version or lilo, which has a binary blob anyway...
10 >
11 > From what I understand, it's either impossible or just extremely
12 > impractical... something about initializing memory tables or the IOMMU
13 > being required before you can switch to 64-bit mode...
14 >
15 > I've been up for almost 24 hours (without properly preparing) so I'm a
16 > little fuzzy right now...
17 Can grub not be compiled in 64-bit mode?
18 Not a problem for me to use the binary, I just want to avoid the current
19 situation of having loads of crap in lib32 and also a chroot with all the
20 stuff repeated, which seems pretty pointless to me, until we can do emerge
21 -arch x86 mplayer or whatever.
22
23 Mike
26 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list