From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Can't Emerge Thunderbird-5.0/6.0
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 05:52:35
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 03:43:05 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:

> > So I've been wondering what the rest of the story might be, and why > people, at least non-Japanese (no offense, just that info's easier to > absorb if it's not filtered thru google translate or the like), might > prefer sylpheed to claws. If you could shed some light on either the > difference in emphasis and split, or why you personally prefer sylpheed, > I'd be quite interested. =:^) >
When I first began using Linux, I tried a few of the console email clients such as pine, mutt, and nmh. These programs were useful, but I really preferred a GUI approach to composing and organizing, yet I also did not want to lose the simplicity of the console clients. Sylpheed (the name connotes "light weight" in Japanese) was the answer. It is graphical without being bloated. Sylpheed reminds me of a MS Windows email client called Pegasus, which has a very similar style, ease, and functionality. The Sylpheed web site describes its attractive attributes, I think, nicely: # Simple, beautiful, and well-polished user interface # Comfortable operationality which is built in detail # Well-organized, easy-to-understand configuration # Lightweight operation # High reliability with one-mail-corresponding-to-one-file format Sylpheed has undergone a lot of development over the years, but I really haven't noticed. Email is a simple medium and my Sylpheed has always been simply configured. I don't bother with any of the advanced features. As I mentioned, if I need more complex functionality, such as certificates or encryption, I can always use thunderbird which I keep in reserve, but Sylpheed is my regular email workhorse. I cannot comment on claws which I haven't used, but it is essentially Sylpheed with a lot of extra features incorporated, and, again, it is those features which I don't require. In the end, preferences are based on philosophy and philosophy is based on knowledge. I see, in my mind, every email message for what is is: a string of text. Even MIME attachments, like images or sounds, are there as text strings. I don't need, or prefer, a complex program to dissect all the pieces and "magically" present them to me. It is somehow more appealing to my digital sense to approach these things from a basic level where nothing else will interpose itself. This is why I appreciate software that does not attempt to "do it all" for me and to conceal the details of the process. Others may find this strange, but to me it is the only way. In fact, there was a time when I sent email messages directly from the command line using sendmail clones. The appeal to this was a complete transparency of the process. However, this soon proved to be too much of a burden. Sylpheed restores the ease, but it remains simple and straightforward.
> > But there are times when I need to communicate to someone that is using > > MS Outlook > > Argh! If they want to read my mail, they can very well read it in plain > text,
I also often shriek when I have to deal with the average MS Outlook user. These people don't even understand computers in the least, let alone email. I could relate many horror stories about their antics, but it really is not appropriate here. However, what peeves me the most is that every MS Outlook user will invariably top post (it is the default in Outlook), and top posting is taboo in email communication. But any attempt at explanation of this is futile. The Outlook user has no comprehension of top posting or any thing else about the email standard, and probably believes that Outlook is the only email client that exists. Frank Peters