From: "John P. Burkett" <burkett@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: revdep-rebuild, Firefox, Thunderbird, GCC
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:46:05
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 06/10/2009 06:05 AM, John P. Burkett wrote:
3 >> Thank you, Duncan. I share your preference for open source programs.
4 >> I'm not sure how the ati-drivers got on my machine or what they were
5 >> doing. If my system functions without them, I'm happy to be rid of them.
6 >
7 > You should know if you're using them of not :P Type
8 >
9 > lsmod | grep fglrx
10 >
11 > while X is running. If you get nothing, you can safely uninstall
12 > ati-drivers ("fglrx" is the kernel module of ati-drivers.)
13 Thank you, Nikos. The "lsmod | grep fglrx" command indeed produces no
14 output.
17 >> So linux appears to be symbolic link to linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r2
18 >
19 > You should know what kernel you're using :P
20 >
21 > eselect kernel list
22 The response is
23 [1] linux-2.6.22-gentoo-r2 *
26 > I suggest you take a good look at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook
27 > at this point.
28 Sound advice. Will do.
31 >> At this point should I make another attempt at doing "emerge --emptytree
32 >> world"? Yesterday when I tried that, the response started with
33 >> 914 packages are being emerged!
34 >
35 > That's the whole point of --emptytree; to recompile every package in the
36 > system.
43 John P. Burkett
44 Department of Economics
45 University of Rhode Island