From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] ldconfig breaks my system
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:13:42
1 Alex Bennee wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Applogies for the cross-post. I'm unsure if this is and amd64 specific
5 > problem or a more general b0rkage.
6 >
7 > I've posted about my failing glibc emerges before:
8 >
9 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/114627
10 >
11 > I think I've narrowed it down to ldconfig running during the emerge. In
12 > fact at the moment any time I run ldconfig it breaks the system so that
13 > I cannot spawn any new shells (they segfault straight away). I can
14 > restore my system by untaring a rescue glibc binary.
15 >
16 > Can anyone give me any hints on how to diagnose the problem with
17 > ldconfig and why things stop working when its done?
18 >
19 > I'm currently building a parallel world on a second partition (in a
20 > chrooted environment) to see if there are any differences between the
21 > two setups (i.e a subtle breakage occured and was never picked up).
22 >
23 > --
24 > Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
25 > It destroys one's nerves to be amiable every day to the same human
26 > being. -- Benjamin Disraeli
29 I had a similar problem (actually with plain x86) a couple months ago. That was with glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1. Lately I've been using glibc-2.3.5 with no problems. What version do you have?
30
31 Zac
32 --
33 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list