From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Warning Message After Emerge
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:18:14
1 Barry Schwartz posted on Sat, 17 Oct 2009 23:19:14 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> skribis:
4 >> I have python-3.1.1 and python-2.6.3 installed. It was not my
5 >> intention to install both; portage/emerge just did it automatically.
6 >> By the time I noticed this dual installation my system was in place for
7 >> some time and running without problems, so I just left things that way.
8 >> Python-updater (run without options) doesn't report any anomaly.
9 >>
10 >> What python version should I be using as the system python, 2.6.3 or
11 >> 3.1.1? Should I delete the older version and run python-updater?
12 >
13 > I haven't been following this conversation, but almost surely you do not
14 > want python 3 as your system python. It is a brand new dialect and
15 > almost nothing will work with it. :)
16
17 That's correct. As I wrote in a different post, unless you have
18 something specific that needs python-3, I'd actually recommend not
19 installing it. And almost without-a-doubt, you don't want it as your
20 system python. eselect python list, and make sure that's set for
21 2.6.whatever. If you're running a full ~arch system, that, and possibly
22 rebuilding a specific package or two, should be all you need to do -- if
23 it was working before, I'd not argue with it. However, the chances of
24 you actually needing 3.x for anything is going to be pretty low for
25 another six months or so at least, and likely longer, if I don't miss my
26 guess. And you'll likely save yourself worrying about a few bugs as
27 packages upgrade in the mean time. So yes, I'd probably mask >=3.0.0,
28 unmerge the python3 you have installed, and then run python updater, but
29 it's up to you. But I'd DEFINITELY ensure I had a 2.6 (or 2.5 for those
30 still on it) set as the system python, and run the updater with that set,
31 at a minimum.
32
33 FWIW, I do have 3.x masked and not on my system, here. I test lots of
34 stuff, but have no interest in worrying myself about python upgrade
35 bugs. Hopefully, by the time I do need it for something, many of the
36 bugs from the 3.x upgrades have already been taken care of without me
37 ever noticing them, since I was still locked on 2.6.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman