From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Capturing hard hang info?
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 22:01:27
1 Hello all,
2 I'm having a bit of an issue here with a machine that's completely
3 hanging and unresponsive. No magic sys request keys, keyboard and
4 mouse are dead, cannot shell in or even ping from another machine on
5 the network. For all intents and purposes it's a dead as one of
6 Dexter's targets. I believe the problem is virtualbox-4.3 related. I
7 didn't see it with vb-4.2.18 or any earlier version. However there
8 were 3.10.16 & 17 updates, along with whatever else Gentoo has
9 provided in the last week or two so there's a chance it could be
10 anything, including hardware.
11
12 Anyway, I've dropped back to gentoo-sources-3.10.15 which never
13 exhibited a problem, along with vb-4.2.18. I'm running memtest86 and
14 looking for anything it might spot. My RAID6 appears to have no
15 problems through any of these hangs, or at least a scrub of the RAID
16 doesn't show it.
17
18 There's nothing in /var/log/messages or Xorg.0.log that I see.
19
20 My question, after this long setup, is what can I do, if anything,
21 to capture and other info about what's really causing the problem?
22
23 I'm currently just doing obvious regression stuff. Installing old
24 versions, running for awhile, etc., trying to figure out if it's a
25 single package. Not real effective but maybe it's all I can do with
26 this sort of problem?
27
28 Thanks in advance,
29 Mark