From: Martin Herrman <martin@×××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] quadcore - part 2
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:28:37
1 On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Branko Badrljica
2 <brankob@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Well, if he is going to buy new cooler, then why not spend extra couple of
5 > $/€ and go for the best ?
6 > I have Thermalright's IFX-14 on my Phenom 9950 and it is BIG but works
7 > phenomenally.
8 >
9 > Good cooler and liquid metal thermal paste is my solution. Be careful with
10 > aluminium, though. Liquid metal reportedly "loves" aluminium, but love is of
11 > suicidal kind ;o)
12 >
13 > You have to be a bit careful with liquid metal, though. First, it conducts
14 > electricity, so spills can be bad thing.
15 > Second, you have to undestand when applying it that you are effectively
16 > doing low temp soldering.
17 > So, it is of _vital_ importance to get the liquid to _wet_ _both_ surfaces.
18 > Since you can't do it with soldering iron and you don't have chemical aids,
19 > you9 have to clean both surfaces ( fine grit paper etc), apply a drop of
20 > metal liquid and rub it in with some sharp edged metal (Xacto knife comes to
21 > mind). Sharp edge will create high pressure , which will push liquid through
22 > oxide barrier.
23 > Once you have done that, liquid will behave just as if it were molten
24 > solder. You can then wipe off liquid with metal oxide remains from both
25 > surfaces.
26 >
27 > After that, you have to ensure that there is just enough liquid to fill in
28 > voids between both surfaces, so you add liquid by droplets until you can
29 > slide CPU over heatsink and it feels wet.
30 > After that, you are ready to mount whole thing.
31 >
32 > One nitpick with LM: you will have trouble getting it off CPU, so warranty
33 > is kinda problematic. On the flip side: when was the last time you killed
34 > the chip without you or something else ( board, PSU ) being the culprit ?
35
36 what about ccache?
37
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=3#doc_chap3
39
40 I'm using a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro at my Q9300.
41
42 Martin