From: Etienne Imguimbert <eimguimbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Bad performance on doom3 with alsa and oss
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:36:18
1 Dear gentoo amd64 users
2 I've installed doom3 via the emerge command, and I have several problems of
3 performance. I tried several configurations:
4 - when I switch to alsa in doom3, I get very noisy sounds (I get several
5 messages of rejected packets by alsa in the shell)
6 - when I switch to oss, I get huge slowdowns in the game (I think there is a
7 problem with the OSS emulation by alsa)
8 - when playing timedemo demo1 in the doom3 prompt, I get a good number of
9 fps (about 60), but this benchmark is played without sound, so I deduce that
10 I have problem with sounds.
11
12 All other sound apps work fine (like amarok, kscd).
13
14 In the kernel configuration, I did not configured any alsa or oss support,
15 just the sound support, and I installed alsa by the emerge command (the
16 version emerged is 1.0.10, the latest stable in portage).
17 I've read somewhere that the command: echo 1024 >
18 /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq would produce better synchronisation, but I
19 didn't change anything for me.
20
21 My question is finally how to get good sounds in doom3 using alsa, not oss
22 emulation.
23
24 Thank you very much
25