From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Kernel-3.3.0 and Nvidia-drivers
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 21:02:57
Frank Peters posted on Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:03:06 -0400 as excerpted:

> Actually, until recently, I was very happy using the legacy open source > xorg nvidia driver known simply as as "nv." It is still available in > Gentoo as x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv. > > Since I do not do gaming or other intensive graphic activities, I could > get by nicely with just nv. However, the nv driver does not seem to > support the latest hardware too well.
FWIW, the old nv driver is legacy, now, and won't be supporting new hardware. AFAIK older hardware should be switching as well, for support with current software, as nv won't be updated for that any longer, either. The same thing happened to it as happened to nvidia's proprietary network driver some years ago; pretty much everyone involved, including the distros that used to ship nv and nvidia itself, seems to have recognized that the reverse-engineered work is now better than nvidia's basic freedomware stub driver, nv, and nouveau has officially taken its place. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman