From: Tamas Karpati <tkarpati@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] VirtualBox: invisible executable
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 19:12:32
1 sorry for not summarizing for so long...
2
3 It took time to figure out that the qt4 USE flag is necessary to
4 have the executable "VirtualBox" installed. Pkg compiles smoothly
5 and the exe presents me with a VMWare Workstation -like tool.
6 Its all nice, albeit somewhat slow, and does what I need.
7
8 I'm not sure if the mentioned USE flag behavior is the expected
9 or just an err, as I'm probably not an average user of VB.
10
11 In my experience some GUI problems that troubled me with _old_
12 VMWW-s are not present in actual VB but the speedlessness raises
13 other problems for otherwise slow GUIs running within the guest.
14 I will possibly continue using VB. On the other hand, I will work to
15 make VMWW run on my Gentoo box, although I don't want to
16 stick to specific kernel and ? SW pkgs just beacuse VMWW
17 needs them.
18
19 Thanks for all the comments.
20