From: Mark Creamer <mcreamer@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] controlling processor peaks
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:37:00
1 I have a fresh install of 2005.0. PC specs are AMD Athlon 64 3200, 2 GB
2 RAM. I'm noticing that certain applications will monopolize the CPU for
3 a moment and then drop off. But during that time, mouse is hung, and
4 nothing else will work or will work sporadically.
5
6 An example would be opening PAN newsgroup reader, and selecting a group
7 that has a large number of messages. Until all the message headers are
8 loaded into the reader, even if that's only a few seconds, I can't do
9 anything.
10
11 How can I tune Gentoo so the processor doesn't peak for one app like this?
12
13 Thanks!
14 Mark
15 --