From: Ian Hastie <ianh@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: modules
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 02:27:00
On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:55:36 -0700
"Dmitri Pogosyan" <pogosyan@×××××××××××××.ca> wrote:

> Absence of autounloading is not a property of gentoo, but of recent > kernels. Somewhere along Linux people decided that unloading unused > modules is not that useful :( > > Am I right, actually ?
As I remember it was decided that it could be dangerous to allow module unloading. The main problem was that of potential for race conditions. For example a programme might be using a device when another one unloaded it. Usage counts were meant to prevent this, but were considered unreliable. As a result the ability to unload modules is now a configurable option in the kernel, along with forced unloading. -- Ian. EOM -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list