From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: eselect opengl keeps breaking my headers
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:17:14
1 Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker@××××××.com> posted
2 1150098579.10664.8.camel@malory, excerpted below, on Mon, 12 Jun 2006
3 08:49:39 +0100:
4
5 > Every time I run "eselect opengl set xorg-x11" it switches my opengl
6 > headers to the 32 bit versions which obviously breaks compiles like X.
7 > Unfortunately it seems to get called in the xorg ebuilds which means I
8 > currently can't build X.
9 >
10 > Although the man page assures me there is some html documentation for
11 > eselect I can't seem to find it on my system. Is there a build flag I
12 > should be enabling?
13 >
14 > Regardless of finding documentation does anyone know how to stop eselect
15 > breaking my setup?
16
17 OK, I don't have the problem 32-bit libraries merged, and don't have the
18 issue, which hints at one work-around, anyway. Assuming you are running
19 the 32-bit compatibility binary packages, simply temporarily unmerge them,
20 then run eselect opengl and do your xorg merges and whatever, then remerge
21 the 32-bit stuff. Because it's a binary compatibility package that's
22 precompiled, the remerge shouldn't be a big deal as it'll go pretty fast.
23
24 If you are using the 32-bit chroot option and experiencing the problem,
25 the unmerge/remerge solution will be rather more difficult as the remerge
26 would do the 32-bit compile and therefore take longer. In this case,
27 consider simply temporarily moving the 32-bit library dir containing the
28 problem libraries out of the search path, say to /home or something, while
29 you do the otherwise problematic 64-bit compiles, or umount the 32-bit
30 chroot, if it's a separate mount, or use a mount --bind (see the mount
31 manpage) or similar to mount something over the problem 32-bit dir,
32 therefore hiding it temporarily.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list