From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] About to install on a 64 bit system. Advice wanted.
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 01:09:46
Frank Peters wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:18 -0600 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote: > > >> What are some things that I should watch for and enable that isn't so >> obvious for someone new to 64 bit? >> >> > The first thing to decide is whether or not you want a pure 64-bit > system or a 64-bit system that keeps 32-bit capability. > > I am a purist. I left 32-bit programs in the dust a long time ago. > But as a consequence there are some things that I will miss because > they are available in 32-bit packages only. An example would be > Acroread, the PDF viewer, from Adobe. Without Acroread, you will > only view pdf files through the 64-bit xpdf. The Intel C++ > compiler is another example. In fact, most commercial software > that bothers to release a Linux version will do so in 32-bit > format only. > > So if you need to make use of those offerings, you'll need > to keep 32-bit compatibility. > > My own view is that these software developers are way behind > the times and should have long ago made their products in > a 64-bit form. It's not that difficult to do. > > Whatever the choice, pure 64-bit or 64/32, Gentoo makes it > easy. > > Frank Peters > > >
Now I have a question. How do I tell Gentoo to make it pure 64 or a mix of 32 and 64? I have read about this but I don't think I have actually seen where it is set. Is it a profile selection, USE flag or something else? If I decide on one then want to switch to the other, does that require a reinstall or just a change in settings and a recompile of world? Since I use KDE, I always use Okular to view pdf files. I assume KDE is 64 bit ready. Thanks. Dale :-) :-)