From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Machine recommendations?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 06:29:59
1 Leonid Eremin posted on Sun, 15 Mar 2015 22:08:16 +0300 as excerpted:
2
3 > Why don't you look for something [like the 2-port mobo I have, LAN/WAN
4 > with a gigabit switch on the LAN side]? Of course, if you don't have
5 > some sophisticated routing rules which requires >=4 NICs.
6
7 I explained this in the original post, but it was long and admittedly
8 people might have skimmed, so here it is again.
9
10 A big part of the whole /point/ of going amd64-based router, despite the
11 expense and hassle over an old generic off-the-shelf, is that:
12
13 (a) I want to put gentoo on it, in part so I can easily play with per-
14 port firewalling/routing/traffic-shaping rules. My current old Linksys
15 WRT54GL running OpenWRT actually has the ability to configure each of the
16 five ethernet ports (plus the wifi) separately, but I've not played with
17 it much, in part because it's sufficiently different from my gentoo
18 comfort zone that working with its config is like reading and writing a
19 different language I don't really know, such that I'm constantly having
20 to lookup stuff.
21
22 Which I'd be willing to do were I doing a bunch of openwrt, but for just
23 the one router, it seems like a waste, and I have to look stuff up again
24 every time I want to make a change because I never actually bothered
25 learning it properly.
26
27 (b) From experience with the netbook, I know that even if it's gentoo, I
28 won't keep up with it if I'm building everything separately for it.
29 Thus, amd64 gentoo, so for many packages I can build once and binpkg
30 install three times, to the new router, the main machine, and my new
31 netbook, if/when I get one (that side of the thread hasn't gotten any
32 hits, yet).
35 So, while I don't have specific rules for all the ports /yet/, for me at
36 least, a good part of the whole point of bothering with an amd64 router
37 instead of just doing off-the-shelf, is that I /can/ do specific rules
38 for each port, and I want at least five ports (six would be better, two
39 builtin and the quad-port, but five should do for now), plus a USB-
40 connected wifi expansion option should I choose to exercise it.
41
42 Things I already have in mind:
43
44 * I'd very much like to specifically route only VoIP stuff to the VoIP
45 phone adapter, and keep it from accessing the rest of the LAN. It's
46 actually a proprietary adapter, tho I suspect it's running standard SIP-
47 based VoIP, setup such that it keeps an open connection to the VoIP
48 server and thus can be contacted across the NAPT-based router/firewall,
49 and I'd also very much like to log to what it's actually connecting, and
50 eventually block pretty much everything but the main VoIP server it's
51 connecting to. (Sometimes it rings once but doesn't complete an inbound
52 call. I strongly suspect that's unfriendly VoIP probes from
53 telemarketers, etc, that can't complete the call since they can't bridge
54 the NAPT. Getting more information and potentially blocking those would
55 be nice.)
56
57 Of course as I said, my current router can do it, but working with its
58 configuration is like trying to read/write a foreign language, so I've
59 not bothered.
60
61 * The current firewalling is pretty simple NAPT based, with a bit of
62 stateful for stuff like FTP. That means pretty much all outgoing is
63 allowed, only incoming really controlled in any way. I want to be much
64 stricter with outgoing.
65
66 * I'd like to be able to run simple outside-accessible servers, probably
67 on the router itself since it's about the only thing on all the time,
68 listening on some high port. Nothing fancy, just enough to host
69 individual files I can link to, etc. Limiting access to particular IP
70 ranges, on high-range ports I specify, etc, is planned. That's why I
71 said outside accessible, NOT publicly accessible.
72
73 * I have/had my current netbook setup such that I could run an ssh server
74 on it when I wanted, allowing connections only from the main machine (via
75 local-routed-only IP-address), on the LAN. Since I deliberately didn't
76 have anything particularly private on the netbook, I figured running the
77 server on it was least-risk. Of course it was private key authorization
78 only, no password, as well, and not listening on the usual ssh port. But
79 I didn't have any specific rules on the router. With the new router and
80 new chromebook reimaged to gentoo, I plan on allowing only specific port
81 to port ssh connections and blocking any others. Accepting/routing only
82 ssh connections to the main machine port from the netbook port, as well
83 as by netbook LAN IP only, should give me enough additional security to
84 feel comfortable running an ssh server on the main machine as well, so I
85 can connect to it from the netbook. Obviously I'd still only start it
86 manually, when I expected to be using it, in ordered to avoid having it
87 running all the time, for efficiency and security reasons both.
88
89 * That's four ports (wan, main, netbook, VoIP). The fifth is guest,
90 which I'll probably leave more open to the net, while strictly
91 controlling what it can access on the LAN. After all, I can add new
92 permissions for port-to-port access to my main machine or netbook
93 dynamically, if needed.
94
95 * The router itself should be reasonably capable of serving as a LAN
96 print or storage server, should I decide to set it up as such, as long as
97 I don't expect it to do everything at once. And being constantly on will
98 make it convenient for that. Thus the chances of needing more ports for
99 that goes down dramatically.
100
101 * Of course that's not including the possible USB-connected wifi, which
102 could of course have its own separate rules enforced, potentially even
103 with multiple virtual wifi networks. But I'm old enough to appreciate
104 the security and constancy of physically wired connections, so while I
105 want to keep the wifi option open (which is easy to do with usb-connected
106 wifi, even if I don't have an open PCIE slot), it's not one I plan to
107 exercise immediately. But if/when I do, I imagine I'll be pretty strict
108 with the wired-lan connection rules for it, since I don't particularly
109 trust wireless as I don't have the physical control of it that I do of
110 wired connections. I might setup a publicly accessible no-login,
111 bandwidth-limited and possibly censorware limited internet connection,
112 however, just because...
113
114 * Should I expand beyond that, or should I find real life changing such
115 that I have a family's connections to secure and route as well, this
116 experience will guide me as I expand. Chances are they'll be way less
117 concerned about security, and will be happy with general wifi internet
118 access. If I need more ethernet ports, I'll have to evaluate at that
119 point whether I need a bigger router, or can simply hang a switch off one
120 of the existing ports and shift roles and rules around to accomodate.
121 What I'll be learning with this more limited setup will help.
126 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman