From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: mplayer vs mplayer-bin = sound vs picture
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 01:00:10
1 Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au> posted
2 200609300946.00116.paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au, excerpted below, on Sat,
3 30 Sep 2006 09:46:00 +1000:
4
5 > When I use kmplayer to watch a video (wmv format, in this case) it appears
6 > I have a choice. If I configure kmplayer to use mplayer, I get sound but
7 > no picture, conversely, if I configure kmplayer to use mplayer-bin (with
8 > no other config changes) I get a picture, but no sound.
9
10 FWIW, I won't use mplayer-bin, because I have no need to since I don't use
11 the slaveryware codecs that would be the only reason to use it over the
12 64-bit version. That said...
13
14 Even back when I didn't feel as strongly about slaveryware and used
15 binary-only codecs, I found mplayer a constant struggle to get and keep
16 everything working at once. I /much/ prefer xine, as it often "just
17 works" where I'd otherwise still be fighting with mplayer trying to get
18 the right combination of video and audio codecs to get it to play the
19 same thing equally well. As it happens, kmplayer can also be merged with
20 USE=xine, and then you'll get that option for backend player as well as
21 mplayer. (A third option is gstreamer, but I've had even less luck with
22 it than mplayer.)
23
24 That said, I suspect your problem is that the file you are trying to play
25 requires a (formerly?) binary-only video codec, so xine (as currently
26 unmasked) won't show video either. Recent posts say the still masked
27 ffmpeg and xine built on top of it can play formerly binary-codec-only
28 wmv-9 videos. I haven't personally tried the unmasking yet so can't
29 vouch for that myself, but I plan to, and others say it works.
30
31 As for mplayer config, both the -bin and 64-bit versions, I'll leave that
32 for someone else to deal with because as I said I've had little luck with
33 it. I can venture a guess, however, that it's /possible/ to get sound
34 with mplayer-bin, particularly if you have sound with mplayer (64-bit), if
35 you just get the config right -- which is as I said the hard part with
36 mplayer, xine is /far/ easier.
37
38 Finally, if you are a regular KDE user as I am, I'll pass on a tip passed
39 to me (@ 'em, thanks, BTW). kaffeine integrates rather better into
40 KDE, and is all around a rather more polished player than kmplayer, with a
41 few features kmplayer is missing (like slowmo and double-speed playback
42 without sound, variable speed playback with sound so you can watch a 30
43 minute video in 25 minutes if desired, features like that). It can make
44 use of the same backends, at least mplayer and xine, don't know about
45 gstreamer.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list