From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: amd64 -> ~amd64
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 18:07:28
1 "S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu)" <smibrahim@×××××.com> posted
2 4997275b0609210926m2bca5b30uec5869f00d521091@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:26:30 +0600:
4
5 > what is the easy way to upgrade to ~amd64 from amd64 ??
6
7 Pretty much just set the new keyword in make.conf...
8
9 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64"
10
11 ... and do the normal emerge --update --deep --newuse world.
12
13 Of course, the usual caveats apply. Do --pretend or --ask so you can see
14 what emerge will do before actually sending it off to do it, and as you'll
15 likely have a lot of packages to upgrade in a case like this, you may want
16 to break it into parts. In particular, you may want to do the system
17 upgrade first, then world (with update, world won't cause duplication of
18 the effort you just did with system, unless you also add --emptytree,
19 which isn't necessary in this case).
20
21 You may wish to break it down further than that, even, doing an emerge
22 --pretend to get the list, then emerge --oneshot <smaller subset list>.
23 This not only allows you to do only a few at a time, but also allows you
24 to run etc-update on a rather smaller set of config files at a time. I
25 like doing it this way as it's easier to manage updates of just a few
26 config files at a time.
27
28 In particular, I've found it very helpful to do certain updates all by
29 themselves. You normally want to update portage first thing, so all the
30 other updates use the updated portage, and glibc and gcc when they need
31 updated top of the list and by themselves as well, straightening out any
32 config file changes before merging anything else. It's also helpful to do
33 baselayout and udev upgrades all by themselves, doing the etc-update then
34 testing the update by rebooting, if there were many changes. That way, if
35 there's a problem, you know right away where to look to fix it, or what
36 you might want to downgrade if it's /really/ screwed up, before you get
37 such a huge list of changes it's hard to figure out which one caused the
38 problem.
39
40 Of course, it should go without saying, but it's good advice in any case
41 and particularly so when running ~arch, make sure you have a tested
42 alternate boot method, in case something critical like bash or glibc
43 breaks. In the two and a half years I've been running Gentoo ~arch, bash
44 broke once and glibc broke once, leaving the system unbootable until
45 they were fixed or the upgrade rolled back. The breaks were quickly fixed
46 and the bad packages pulled, but if you happened to upgrade in the
47 few-hour window when the broken package was out, having something else to
48 boot to to recover certainly saved the day. Here, I simply keep a backup
49 / partition (including /etc, /usr, /var, basically everything emerge
50 touches, but not /home, /var/log, ...) that I periodically erase and
51 update, only when I know my main system including a full boot, portage,
52 gcc, X and KDE, are all working. That way, if something breaks on the
53 main system, I can simply boot the backup and go back to work with
54 everything working, just as it was when I made the backup image. There's
55 no hurry to get the broken system fixed and no interruption in normal work
56 flow, since I have a full working system as the backup.
57
58 If you aren't already using it, you may also want to consider
59 FEATURES=buildpkg in make.conf. This creates binary packages of
60 everything you emerge (normally stored in the packages dir of your portage
61 tree but that's configurable, figure 2-4 gigs space, depending on how often
62 you run eclean-pkg), making it easy to revert to an old version if
63 something breaks, without having to recompile it to do so. This makes
64 recovering from a gcc or portage borkage in particular, far easier than it
65 would otherwise be.
70 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
73 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list