From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Problems after upgrading to 4GB Ram
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 18:08:15
1 "Richard Lucking" <lists@×××××××.org> posted
2 01f501c68ce6$91c80790$d800a8c0@×××.cxm, excerpted below, on Sun, 11 Jun
3 2006 00:35:33 +0100:
4
5 > Thanks for the suggestion. They are 4 matching 1GB sticks from Crucial. It's
6 > worked perfectly today with any 2 of them - just not when I fit all 4.
7 >
8 > It didn't work *at all* when I first put in 4GB, I had to recompile the
9 > kernel with IOMMU options - now it works, just not under "load".
10
11 That sounds very much like...
12
13 I don't remember exactly what it's called and it may be slightly different
14 in your bios anyway, but...
15
16 Under the memory timings options, here, it's only visible if I toggle to
17 manual and get the individual settings...
18
19 There's a setting command length or command size or some such, IIRC, with
20 what should be only two settings, 1T and 2T. If you have all memory slots
21 full, it must be 2T, otherwise 1T works fine and is faster.
22
23 It sounds like either automatic isn't getting it right, or you had it set
24 for 1T previously and haven't reset it for 2T.
25
26 If that doesn't do it and you have the option, try declocking your memory
27 a bit. I had some generic RAM before my last upgrade that was rated
28 PC3200, that would randomly lockup at that. As you, memtest86 was
29 100% clean, and the lockups were usually under load. When I first got
30 the memory at the same time I got the board but from a different supplier),
31 the BIOS didn't have a memory clock limit option, but a BIOS upgrade added
32 it. PC3200 is 200MHz clock DDR, so 400MHz memory. When I clock-limited it
33 to 183MHz DDR (366MHz, comparable to PC3000), it was solid as a rock. No
34 more instabilities, even with tighter than either memory-default or
35 BIOS-default timings.
36
37 Something else that /might/ be it, altho here the IOMMU and AGPGART
38 wouldn't work /at/ /all/, as in the thing would lockup after loading the
39 kernel but before loading init if I had it on and either of the above
40 enabled, it wasn't a random problem at all... the BIOS AGP fast-write.
41 (I've no idea at all if this applies to PCI-E.) With it disabled, both
42 the above worked as they should.
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
52 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list