From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] VMware Player on Gentoo question
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:34:13
On Thursday 09 March 2006 17.22, Marco Matthies wrote:

> You might also want to check out qemu[1], which is free and is in > portage -- the main difference is a somewhat more spartanic user interface. > > Just remember to use the kernel module kqemu as well for adequate speed > (somewhat less than vmware at the moment, but it is going to get to > vmware levels pretty soon).
I haven't tried qemu on Gentoo yet - my previous testing (with or without kernel module) showed a dramatic lack of speed (at least when powering a virtual machine running Windows). I'm a supporter of open source, but there *are* closed source programs that perform better sometime (note that there also are closed source programs that perform worse...) But I'll keep an eye on quemu - that by the way I believe is free but not really open source, but maybe I'm mistaking. Thierry -- The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself? Frank Zappa -- gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list